Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Not In The Heart - by Chris Fabry




Truman Wiley used to report news stories from around the world, but now the most troubling headlines are his own. He's out of work, out of touch with his family, out of his home. But nothing dogs him more than his son's failing heart.

With mounting hospital bills and Truman's penchant for gambling his savings, the situation seems hopeless . . . until his estranged wife throws him a lifeline-the chance to write the story of a death row inmate, a man convicted of murder who wants to donate his heart to Truman's son.

As the execution clock ticks down, Truman uncovers disturbing evidence that points to a different killer. For his son to live, must an innocent man die? Truman's investigation draws him down a path that will change his life, his family, and the destinies of two men forever.

I'll be the first to admit that this is not my normal kind of "must-read" book.  I was traveling in Alabama and had stopped at Sam's for some gas and a quick restroom break.  While I was there, I started browsing their book selection (c'mon, can you go into ANY store that has books and NOT browse them?)  I have purchased a couple of books by Mr. Fabry for the church library, but I will admit I hadn't read any of them.  Anyway, I see this book and it looked pretty interesting (and the price was right, $7.99).  Later that evening after I got checked into my hotel room I pulled out the book and opened to the first page.  2 hours later, I was so engrossed in this book, I could tell that my bedtime wasn't going to be any time soon.

It's always interesting to me when I hear authors speak of their characters as if they were real people.  If that was the case with Truman, I would have had to have punched him very early in this book.  Truman is so self-absorbed with himself that I wanted to scream out loud at him every time he turned his back on his family.  Mr. Fabry writes his characters so that you feel what they feel, you laugh when they laugh and cry when they cry.  

This book is a wild roller coaster ride of emotions from meeting with Truman, to him finally showing up to the hospital to see his son, back to him relapsing into his old self again and finally to the ending.  I won't give it away because I feel that you have to read this book, but I can tell you that the Gasp! that came out of my mouth at the end had to have at least awakened several guests in the hotel that night.

So should you read it?  My answer is yes!  This is a great book to be read by anybody, but specifically to us men as a reminder that it isn't all about us.


Chris Fabry is an award-winning author and radio personality who hosts the daily program Chris Fabry Live! on Moody Radio. He is also heard on Love Worth FindingBuilding Relationships with Dr. Gary Chapman, and other radio programs. A 1982 graduate of the W. Page Pitt School of Journalism at Marshall University and a native of West Virginia, Chris and his wife, Andrea, now live in Arizona and are the parents of nine children.
Chris' novels, which include DogwoodJune BugAlmost Heaven, and Not in the Heart, have won two Christy Awards and an ECPA Christian Book Award, but it's his lyrical prose and tales of redemption that keep readers returning for more.
He has also published more than 65 other books, including nonfiction and novels for children and young adults. He coauthored the Left Behind: The Kids series with Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, as well as the Red Rock Mysteries and The Wormling series with Jerry B. Jenkins. RPM is his latest series for kids and explores the exciting world of NASCAR.

10 comments:

  1. Two thumbs up for the review and an extra thumb for the Sam's Club purchase and two more thumbs for staying up late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comments, Mr. Fabry. I truly enjoyed this book!

      Delete
  2. I love Chris Fabry, but haven't read this or Dogwood yet. Not In The Heart is going on my TBR list!!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book, I can't say it enough Chris is one of the best authors around! Oh Did I say I LOVE this book? 5 Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure, so wanted to clarify..... Did you like this book at all? LOL. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  4. Great synopsis Rick. Another book for my ever growing TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment. I hope you'll check back often.

      Delete
  5. I've read Dogwood and June Bug. Both different books from what I normally read but definitely caught my interest. Your review Rick, makes me want to read this book. Another book for my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Please keep checking back as I hope to keep providing these reviews.

      Delete